Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Bards of the Gorsedh of Cornwall in Eaglehawk

The theme of this year's festival was "Welcome back, Cousin Jack" celebrating the contribution of the Cornish in our area's history.


(and yes, there was a Cornish pasty competition which the kids from school won and came second in! - ask me any fact about Cornish pasties - I am now an expert!)

So, our school's contribution to the street parade was Cornish dancing - the kids looked very cute


Only one photo 'cos I was on video duty - picture the school principal dashing down the main road, video camera in hand, avoiding fold-up camping chairs, small children and the occasional cranky member of the public just so I could make sure I got every child in the film.

Then, the thrill of the fairground in the local park - which mainly meant I sat at the Red Cross tent looking after one of the little kids from school who was lost and whose mother couldn't be found - two hours later I escaped .....

and, just when I thought my day couldn't get any more unusual....

I discovered the Bards of the Gorsedh of Cornwall in the midst of a ritual which involved a flower dance, the annoiting of two new Bards and lovely singing, mostly in Cornish.







I sat with a friend and enjoyed their celebration, then quickly checked out the results of the vegetable competition (not happy with the second prize for "Basket of vegetables", considered paying the necessary $2.00 to challenge the judge, but decided against it LOL).
On the way home I noticed a sign on a milk bar advertising "Soft Serve" ice-creams and figured I had earned one today. Took me right back to my childhood - it was a proper "Dairy Queen" - didn't know you could still get them, and it was only $2.00! (A much better use of the $2.00 coin than challenging the judges, I thought)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful celebration. Picturing you running with a video camera rushing to take pictures of the celebration brought a smile to my face :-)

    ReplyDelete