Friday, January 1, 2010

Discharging.

After some encouragment from a friend the other day I decided to "just do it" and finish a quilt which has been maturing for almost five years. All I need to do are the borders, and they required some fabric discharging.

So, I dug out the fabric, found the bleach pen I won at the Southern Cross Quilters Retreat a few years ago - thanks to the donation from the USA shop in Bentleigh (there are two other bleach pens in this house - they must be with the camera recharger). It was too windy to do this ouside, luckily the kitchen bench was clear. Then I remembered my Iphone takes photos.......







I love discharging fabric, it reminds me of when I wrote with "invisible ink" ie lemon juice, when I was a kid.

6 comments:

  1. this looks fantastic. Must put it on my list of things to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo, you go girl! Obviously you found the bolt of Kona Black also. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MA... looks fantastic... Maybe your bleach pens are with my two MIA unpickers and my glue pens I bought in Adelaide??? I also lost my retractable tape measure... but when I am brave I might have to send you a pic of my 'storage' area at the moment.. *sigh* oh for a sewing room :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful. Wonder if diff blacks discharge to diff colours and how would a quilt of that look? What is this WIP?
    Happy New Year, too. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, different blacks do discharge differently - that's why I had to find the "matching" black fabric! (and that's why I bought a bolt of Kona black in PA last year - no!!! the year before last, now!!!)
    This WIP is an African quilt I started at Dookie in May 2005. It is huge, double sided and looks great - all will be revealed before the end of the holidays (that's the plan anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the discharge squiggles - what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete