Monday, January 4, 2010

New Caledonia

It must be three years since we went to New Caledonia. Where has that time gone? The first five days were in a luxury resort on a small island. Then we went onto the "mainland", drove up the west coast and back down the east coast. A very varied country - from 5 star luxury to village huts.



Very pretty, but I was glad we weren't staying there.

Remnants of a fort from colonial times, this was the bakery building.

And a bridge made during World War 11, all pre fab metal and put together by the Americans like a jigsaw puzzle

Waiting for our turn at a river crossing, where the river was too wide for a bridge, the ocean was about 50m away and the local legends say that the biggest shark in the country lives at the mouth of the river! I held my breath when it was our turn to cross.


and the obligatory sunset and palm tree. This was taken at the main beach in Noumea.


..... and yes, he went diving, while I reclined at the resort - but I don't have photos of the shark he saw (the one you see is not the one that gets you apparently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment